EnergyStar Portfolio Manager: Tool for benchmarking schools against similar buildings and tracking energy use over time
Department of Mechanical Engineering, WVU: Prof. Ken Means and his students perform free energy assessments of school facilities.
West Virginia Manufacturing Extension Partnership: Another source of energy assessments for school facilities, although not free.
- Energy Education, Inc: will enter into contracts with school districts and guarantee savings through behavioral energy efficiency initiatives.
- EnergySmart Schools Tips: tips from the Department of Energy on retrofitting, operating and maintaining existing school buildings to save energy
- Energy Efficient West Virginia conducted energy audits at three Kanawha County schools:
- Marmet Elementary School (Report, Appendix 1, Appendix 2, Appendix 3)
- Cedar Grove Elementary and Middle School (Report)
- Crede warehouse (Report, Appendix 1, Appendix 2, Appendix 3)
- Performance Contracting: Energy service companies will enter into performance contracts with school districts in which they guarantee energy savings and are paid back through the savings in your energy bills. A directory of energy service companies can be found through the website of the National Association of Energy Service Companies.
- The Energy Services Coalition of West Virginia is an organization comprised of energy services corporation providers and members of the WV Department of Education and WV Division of Energy working on strategies to disseminate information and best practices of energy services and performance contracts in our state: http://wv.energyservicescoalition.org/
Natural Capital Investment Fund: We know how hard it is to find and put together financing for energy efficiency projects for schools. The Natural Capital Investment Fund has the resources to help acquire energy audits at a reduced cost, and a loan program to provide financing for enregy efficiency projects aimed at saving 15% of energy or greater. They are a flexible organizationa and Hannah, their energy efficiency rep, will assist every step of the way -whether applying for loan or a grant. NCIF is a community development bank witha local focus on rural appalachian communities including all of West Virginia that will work with school districts to provide low-interest loans for energy efficiency projects.
Appalachian Power rebate program: Rebates offered for efficient lighting and HVAC equipment
Mon Power / Potomac Edison rebate program: Rebates offered for efficient lighting
- National Energy Education Development project: curricula for all grade levels on energy issues, including efficiency
- Teaching Alternative Energy - A great resource for students and teachers on how various renewable energies are created and used.
- Kid's Energy Education guide - SaveOnEnergy.com's Kids Learning Center provides free, educational resources that helps kids learn more about energy.
- Net Zero's Net Worth: How Renewable Energy is Rescuing Schools from Budget Cuts (in Kentucky and Arizona)